Hiking is considered a pleasure adventure in modern days. But hiking is also an excellent sport, which brings so many health benefits. However, to make your hiking more pleasant, you need a good pair of hiking boots.
The good news is that there are some great hiking shoes that you can buy under $100.
We are always in trouble when buying hiking boots because some models are poorly designed; on the other side, men hiking boots different from women’s. That’s why we’re offering this buying guide so that everyone can find suitable pair of hiking boots under 100 dollars.
We have researched for more than 50 hours, tested over 30 pairs of hiking boots, and finally narrowed down the list to the top 10 models.
- Best Hiking Boots Under $100 in 2022
- 1. RAX Men’s Wild Wolf II Hiking Boots – Best Overall
- 2. Columbia Crestwood – Best Hiking Boot Under $100 for Men
- 3. KEEN Targhee 3 – Best Hiking Boots Under $100 for Women
- 4. Merrell J06057 Moab 2 – Best Winter Hiking Boots Under 100 Dollars
- 5. GRITION YY2010HJ41-BK Hiking Boots – Excellent Water Protection
- 6. RAX Men’s Good Cushioning – Lightweight Hiking Boots Under 100
- 7. Columbia Newton Ridge Plus Ii Suede – Durable Hiking Boots for Men
- 8. KEEN-1018589 Targhee Vent – Ultralight Hiking Boots for Women
- 9. Hi-Tec Wn Logan – Best Value Hiking Boots for Women
- 10. Columbia Redmond – Best Hiking Boots Under $100 for All Weather
- Buyer’s Guide – Hiking Boots Under 100
Best Hiking Boots Under $100 in 2022
- 1. RAX Men’s Wild Wolf II hiking Boots – Best Overall
- 2. Columbia Men’s Crestwood – Best Men’s Hiking Boots under $100
- 3. KEEN Targhee 3 – Best Women’s Hiking Boots under $100
- 4. Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Mid Gtx – Best Winter Hiking Boots under $100
- 5. GRITION YY2010HJ42-BK – Best Waterproof hiking boots for Men
- 6. RAX Men’s Hiking Boots – Best Lightweight Hiking Boots under $100
- 7. Columbia Newton Ridge Plus Ii – Best Durable Hiking Boots for Men
- 8. KEEN-1018589 Targhee – Best Lightweight Hiking Boots for Women
- 9. Hi-Tec Wn Logan – Best Value Waterproof Hiking Boots
- 10. Columbia Redmond Women’s Hiking Boots – Best for All Weather
Let’s Go in-Depth…
1. RAX Men’s Wild Wolf II Hiking Boots – Best Overall
The RAX is a brand name established in 2010; famous for their quality hiking boots at fair prices. They are unanimous in terms of the comfort and pleasure of walking. However, our opinions remain quite mixed on some small details.
Wild wolf II Hiking Boots comes with a premium waterproof membrane inside and waterproof nylon uppers, which keep your feet dry and comfortable all day long. The inner soles have plenty of vibration-free softness and lace clips are designed for easy on and off.
The rubber outsole is antiskid and the bottom features triangle lugs with great traction which grips the ground deeply. However, the sole is pretty much soft, which could be a little tougher. The slightly low heel can disconcert at first but you get used to it quickly.
The waterproof rubber outsole is suitable for all outdoor environments. These boots are excellent breathable and everything is well made to provide massive comfort and lots of support.
For day hikers and lightweight backpackers who stick mostly to maintaining trails, the Wild wolf II could be the best option at this price range.
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Great traction on all terrain
- Solid and well construction
- Made of high-quality materials
- Easy on and off
- Soft rubber sole
- Laces clips could be better
2. Columbia Crestwood – Best Hiking Boot Under $100 for Men
Columbia Crestwood Waterproof Wide Hiking Boot features lightweight and durable midsole for long-time comfort. This affordable men’s hiking boot is made from 100% Leather and Textile that dries remarkably quickly. The shaft measures approximately mid-top from the arch so that everyone can use it adequately.
Its multi-terrain traction system treads to specific environments and its dual-zone winter tread pattern ensures solid footing on surfaces such as ice and snow. It comes with a superior cushioning system and an advanced traction rubber sole which provides slip-free movement on rough ground.
Columbia Crestwood’s durable wide hiking boots also feature a lace-up closure for an adjustable and secure fit. It is stylish with its soft mesh and suede exterior. They are pretty soft with no foot pain and no crowding your feet.
These hiking boots are not larger than other brands. And not smaller than your normal size 16 shoe. It will fit perfectly without toe pinches or discomfort of any kind and could be a great choice for men for an extended periods of walking.
However, because of the lack of premium materials, it may eventually need to be replaced a little sooner than we would prefer. But for less than $100, you won’t go wrong.
- Excellent traction and stability
- Built-in advanced technology
- Extremely comfortable
- Completely waterproof
- A little small for a wide shoe size
- Soles and sides are a bit hard
3. KEEN Targhee 3 – Best Hiking Boots Under $100 for Women
KEEN Targhee 3 hiking boots are completely waterproof and breathable membrane that keep your feet dry and comfortable on wet terrains. To ensure resilient durability in all weather conditions, the Targhee 3 has a leather mud shield.
This shoe measures standard width and your feet don’t feel like they are roasting when hiking. The all-terrain rubber outsole provides high-traction grip in muddy environments as well as rocky surfaces.
KEEN Targhee 3 hiking boots are also built with 4mm multi-directional lugs for superior traction. This model is extremely stable and offers lightweight support for improved mobility and torsion control on uneven surfaces.
These hiking boots are built on a women-specific foot form and crafted with a dual-density EVA midsole to provide more comfort and help to reduce the overall weight. They also have extra protection against mud and give your feet more protection on rocks than lightweight hiking boots.
These women’s boots are composed of a high heel which promotes the course of the step and the posture in the mountains. There should be enough cushioning to prevent that while breaking in. However, we recommend wearing a thicker sock the first few wears, especially if you’re doing longer distances.
- Good traction in slippery areas
- Big sturdy toe box and sole
- Extremely comfortable sole
- Crafted with a dual-density
- Not good for deep snow
- No warm lining
4. Merrell J06057 Moab 2 – Best Winter Hiking Boots Under 100 Dollars
If you are used to hiking in very cold climates, the Merrell Men’s Moab 2 is a great option for you. This unit is made from durable leather and has a supportive foot bed to provide more comfortable hiking experience compared to the Columbia Crestwood. The sole and the outside part of this boot are in good shape and wide.
The Merrell quality shows up in these hiking boots from top to bottom. They also pay attention to detail, so even the laces are decent. It is built with high-performance breathable waterproof protection which keeps your feet dry and comfortable for a long time. Its targeted heel cushioning system also reduces stress on your foot.
The slip resistance and high-quality rubber sole ensure unmatched durability, stability and confidence on your feet. However, this series provides less support compared to KEEN Targhee 3 for carrying a heavy load.
It is perfect as it isn’t too heavy to way down your joints while wearing them all day. This model is also well made and built to last. It will drain water and keep the water from getting in unless it is deeper than the boot is tall.
The one thing we don’t like the laces don’t stay tied. However, you can change them to spend extra few bucks.
- Comfortable to wear
- Strong and very supportive
- Flexible to protect your foot
- Protective rubber toe cap
- Quality construction
- A little bit heavy
- Poor waterproofing
5. GRITION YY2010HJ41-BK Hiking Boots – Excellent Water Protection
GRITION YY2010HJ41-BK hiking boots are made of waterproof fabric lining and water-resistant membrane in the softshell upper which keep your feet dry up in a static environment. The hiking shoes offer very good support at the ankles, and great comfort to be able to calmly walk for many hours.
It is made of steel Mid Sole which protects your feet well while walking on stones or other hard surfaces. The soft part of the sole is made with EVA PHYLON and rubber which is slip-resistant. They are also very comfortable and protect your feet from water unless you get fully submerged.
This model is also built with unparalleled technology and is designed to provide cushioning and great maintenance during your long hours of walking. Thanks to its Reflective strip, which provides better forefoot flexion and exceptional grip to allow you to evolve on all terrains.
GRITION YY2010HJ41-BK hiking boots are also lightweight, which makes them ideal for walking long distances, and good traction while walking on slippery logs and branches. It also handles the rain and rocks on the trails perfectly.
- Sand resistant
- Keep warm forever
- Care for your feet
- True comfort Sole
- Reflective strip
- Protective and supportive
- Less-known brand
- These are not waterproof as advertised
6. RAX Men’s Good Cushioning – Lightweight Hiking Boots Under 100
You already know that Rax is an established and famous brand on the market, and their outdoor products are always pretty much different from the rest. However, these hiking boots use the side TPU plate which increases mid-foot stability, and the cushioning EVA midsole offers an excellent ground feel with high comfort.
Its soft-touch upper fabric and cotton lining ups is the factor to deliver huge comfort. It is also built with TPU toe collision avoidance system for high abrasion environments. The colors are a little more bling/bright but the size is great and wide enough.
This multi-terrain model is not only suitable for hiking but also available for different outdoor trekking because the lug outsole provides great traction when walking and hiking outdoors. They are very spacious, and with moral support, you will feel like walking on a cloud.
Rax men’s hiking boots are sufficiently water-resistant and keep your feet warm for most of the time except for the bit of snow. And after cleanup, they will look pretty new. However, they are not completely waterproof.
- PU Support & Toe Protection
- Excellent cushioning function
- Comfortable fabric upper
- Multi-terrain Outsole
- Soft and lightweight
- Beautiful design
- Not waterproof
- The tongue of the shoe is too wide
7. Columbia Newton Ridge Plus Ii Suede – Durable Hiking Boots for Men
Columbia Men’s waterproof hiking boots feature the signature lightweight midsole to ensure long-lasting comfort without any issues. It’s designed with premium expert craftsmanship and high-quality materials, which make them the ultimate durable hiking boots for rigorous days out on the trail.
It is made with waterproof suede and leather materials, and the overall construction is very protective. They also have a lace-up closure that ensures an adjustable and secure fit.
These are lightweight, less than 1lbs of each. However, you have to make sure that you pick the latest version as these are particularly stylish.
Columbia Men’s hiking boots are constructed with metal hardware and seam sealed, and it is strong enough to withstand rain, muck, puddles, and more. These are rugged hikers with an aggressive, and suitable for mountainous terrain, very good on bare rock. They hold up really well and dry out quickly in the rain.
- Built with advanced technology
- Durable and quality materials
- Cheap price
- Multiple colors and sizes are available
- Adjustable features
- Could be a little wider
- Looks poorly designed
8. KEEN-1018589 Targhee Vent – Ultralight Hiking Boots for Women
KEEN-1018589 Targhee Vent Mid hiking boot is one of the most versatile models under 100 dollars on the market. And with soft and strong rubber soles, it is an outstanding choice for all adventurers who looking for a good all-rounder and comfortable boot. However, it is not completely waterproof.
KEEN Targhee Vent is built like a trail running shoe. However, it is supportive, lightweight, and very comfortable to use for a long time. This model is suitable for a wide range of activities, from a weekend in a hunting camp to long trekking through the steppes. These are also perfect for normal use and still have great toe protection.
This hiking boot comes with a highly breathable design. It looks attractive and has plenty of room in the toe box and is flexible enough to lace to adjust fit and support. It is the best choice for staying cool while exploring the warmer spots in the world.
The lace holders at the ankle are plastic. However, it appears to be quite rigid.
- Soft sole
- Perfect size for beginner
- Lightweight and attractive
- Easy lace adjustment
- Multi-functional boots
- Not waterproof
9. Hi-Tec Wn Logan – Best Value Hiking Boots for Women
You may know that Hi-Tec is a well-known and famous sports and outdoor products manufacturer, established in 1978. They produce over 10 million pairs of footwear each year. The Hi-Tec Wn Logan Mid features lightweight design and is made from high-quality materials.
These are designed and developed with authentic outdoor footwear which ensures extra comfort. And the soles have a nice texture and grip which is important for long time use. The part is the high lace-up high-top design which works well. With plenty of toe room, the size is substantial.
Hi-Tec Wn Logan Mid hiking boots are not too warm and very comfortable to wear because there is support inside. These are also excellent choices for slippery trail hiking. So if you want to keep your feet dry, hike comfortably, and perhaps get engaged, we invite you to pick these good-luck boots.
These are waterproof and fairly thick, so they are a bit uncomfortable for summer. However, protecting your feet from wetness is important in any weather.
- Weatherproof in all situations
- Soft and breathable
- Comfortable to use
- Excellent built-in quality
- Removable insoles
- A little bit heavy
- A bit on the wide side
10. Columbia Redmond – Best Hiking Boots Under $100 for All Weather
We are happily going to introduce the last model from our list, Columbia Redmond. The Columbia Redmond is an excellent waterproof, fashionable and functional pair of hiking boots under $100 for women. The superior cushioning system ensures maximum comfort.
It’s sure-footed and incredibly comfortable to use in all weather. We love this beautiful design, which allows you to descend a trail quickly, even in the rain without fear of falling or spraining an ankle.
The upper layer is combined with suede leather, mesh, and webbing and the midsole is lightweight Techlite material that provides superior traction. It is perfect for trips to the mountains and it is stylish enough for daily use in off-terrain environments.
Columbia Redmond hiking boots are also able to navigate in aggressive terrain.
There is a well-cushioned inside to allow you to walk for hours. It is stable, flexible and durable, and performs admirably on dry, wet or slippery terrain. It is an excellent pair of hiking boots for a more than favorable price and a superb choice for women who looking for something breathable.
- Breathable and well made
- Advanced technology
- Cushioned With High Energy Return
- A few plush ankle support
- A little tight in the toe
Buyer’s Guide – Hiking Boots Under 100
Welcome to our buying guide section: To make your purchase easier, we have formed a complete buying guide and included some features so that you can save time for future purchases.
Types of hiking boots
Before making the purchase decision, you have to consider the type of hiking boots available now:
- Hiking shoes: they are generally lighter and more flexible than walking or hiking boots. Since heavy shoes tire the feet quickly, hiking shoes can be an especially attractive choice. However, these offer less support and protection for the ankles.
- Walking boots: walking boots are visually very similar to hiking shoes, but they go higher to cover the ankle. They therefore offer more protection and support than hiking shoes, especially considering that they have a more rigid construction. The styles of walking boots vary widely, from partial or full ankle coverage.
- Hiking boots: hiking boots are designed to accompany you during your longest excursions in nature, where you will have to carry all your equipment on your back for several days. These boots are durable and reliable and comfortable to wear and take off.
However, all types of hiking boots are robust because they are designed to tackle different terrain, no matter the vagaries of the weather. You just need to make sure that these are nonslip.
The sole of the hiking boots is always made of rubber. However, the part that wraps around the foot can be made of different types of materials. The material of the upper affects the water resistance, breathability, durability and weight of each shoe or boot.
Here are the main ones:
- Leather: Leather is extremely comfortable, water-resistant and breathable. It is the best choice if you want to have a shoe for the long haul. However, leather requires a little more maintenance than synthetic material. You need to treat it to re-waterproof and rehydrate it each season to ensure it is waterproof. On the other hand, leather will be heavier and more expensive.
- Synthetic fabrics: Synthetic polyurethane materials are generally light, breathable and dry in no time. This material is also less expensive than leather. However, it will be less water-resistant and durable in the long run.
- Waterproof-breathable membrane: Every company that makes hiking shoes offers a house-made waterproof breathable membrane or Gore-Tex to ensure the boot’s waterproofness without compromising their breathability. This membrane will prevent water from entering the boots but will allow moisture inside to escape quickly.
This rubber insert protects your boots from impact when you accidentally hit a rock or root. It usually covers the toes, but some more rugged models feature a full welt to protect the entire circumference of the boots.
This handy feature prevents stones from creeping into your socks. It is tab sides that are connected to the upper part of the rod to block the infiltration of dust, gravel and water.
Choose the right size
To choose the size of hiking boots that suits you best, you need to measure your foot accurately. If you can’t make it to the store, measure your foot’s length in centimeters by using tape and compare the result of your size.
Remember that sizes may vary from brand to brand.
The shape of your feet
Some pairs of hiking boots are designed for wide feet, while others are better suited for narrow heels or flat feet. It is not enough to choose your usual size because the dimensions of the boots can vary from one brand to another.
From one company to another, hiking boots vary in width. As we previously mentioned, there are some models that are designed for wide, regular or narrow feet. For example, the Keen company is well-known to offer wide shoes and boots.
The choice of boot width can vary depending on how you use it. If you need a hiking boot that will give you more precision on the approach, a narrower boot will be ideal.
The stronger the soles, the heavier the boots. For flat terrain, choose a light pair of hiking boots that will tire your legs as little as possible. On the other hand, in rough terrain, choose heavier shoes with a stable and sturdy soles.
What is the ideal weight for a hiking boot?
Weight is an important factor you need to consider before buying hiking boots. You have to compromise to get the features you are looking for. For example, heavy boots are more durable and provide better support than lightweight models. Lightweight boots on the other hand won’t slow you down, but give you a lot less support.
It’s up to you to decide which qualities are the most important according to your hiking destination.
Why do I need to choose the right hiking boots?
Hiking boots offer you solidity and excellent support to tackle mid-mountain and high-mountain trails. Lightweight boots are designed for day hikes or short hikes on flat terrain. For high mountains or longer hikes, high boots are always recommended.
We can find that hiking boots are more aesthetic for a question of style. Hiking boots can also reassure you from the height, you will feel safer and better protected if you venture on dangerous grounds.
How much does a good pair of hiking boots cost?
The price for a good pair of hiking boots is higher than for a pair of classic hiking boots. On average, you will find a price of 150 dollars for a good pair of hiking boots from a major brand.
You can of course find high-quality models for less than 100 dollars from our list, or if you identify the well-known brand and where you want to use it.
How to clean your hiking boots properly?
The easiest way to take care of your hiking boots is to hand wash them with lukewarm water and soap. If the shoe is dirtier, you can use a brush. We advise you to remove the insole to avoid getting it wet. You can then leave it to dry at room temperature, but avoid exposing it to too much heat, which can dry out the leather.
There are re-waterproofing sprays to prevent waterproofing from fading over time.
How do loosen up your new hiking boots?
You may know that most modern hiking shoes and boots are ready to wear right out of the box. However, if they aren’t comfortable from day one, they never will be in the future. But they still require a certain period of relaxation. This step is especially important for hard and long-hike boots.
You can wear them first at home or work and then go for short walks. Gradually increase the distance you walk and the weight you carry. If you aren’t satisfied with the fit and you haven’t worn them outside, you can return or exchange them.
It is not always easy to find the best hiking boots under 100 dollars because the market is full of cheap and thin models. Also, each person has different expectations and a more or less flat or rounded foot. On the price side, we have only tested quality models and the costs are quite similar. If the cheapest pair will work best for you, then you should buy it.
Last Tip: Don’t forget to break properly in your shoes before going on long hikes. Some adaptation time is necessary, and it is therefore preferable to increase the distances gradually.
You Might Also Like: