It is certain that you cannot attack the mountain without good equipment. You must ensure the good quality of your ski outfit.
If you are a big fan of mountain explorations and plan to wear your hiking jacket while skiing, this article is going to be interesting for you.
Here I’m going to tell you how to choose hiking jackets for skiing.
Make Sure It is Perfect for Facing the Harshness of the Cold and Braving the Wind
- The primary function of ski clothing is to create a kind of protective shield against the cold, wind, rain, and more. Because it is in direct contact with the outside. The hiking jacket must be the subject of special attention and be adopted according to very specific criteria and conducive to skiing in all serenity.
- Above all, the jacket must ensure optimum resistance to the penetration of cold and wind. In order to insulate your body from the harshness of the external elements on the slopes, your hiking jacket is perfectly suited as long as it is perfectly encompassing and made of special windproof fabric.
- A 3-layer fabric, on which the waterproof membrane will be laminated between 2 layers of fabric, is the best to protect you from any inconvenience atmosphere. These fabrics will offer much better waterproofing and breathability performance than 2-layer or 2.5-layer fabrics. The jacket acts as a thermal bubble, which protects the entire trunk, neck and arms.
This membrane, combined with waterproof seams, allows you to retain permanently, inside your jacket, all the heat emitted by your body.
- Choose a hiking jacket with a hood with a visor as covering as a balaclava and sleeves with tight cuffs. This will limit heat loss from the extremities of the body. If you combine your jacket with thermal underwear, a fleece jacket and well-sealed gloves, you are sure to make the most of your day of skiing without risking getting cold.
- Thanks to the versatility of the membrane and its microporous texture, the waterproof jacket combines technicality and performance to offer optimal waterproofing. It is specially designed to prevent water infiltration and form an impassable barrier against rain and snow.
- Wrapping up in a fully waterproof jacket is the luxury of enjoying the mountain in all its forms. You slalom confidently between the snowflakes and can admire the beauty of the landscape in peace, even in the pouring rain.
- If you are a fan of high mountain walks and you already have a jacket for excursions, remember to check its waterproofing measure. Waterproofing is measured in Schmerber mm and is listed on the garment label. The higher the number, the more effective the jacket is in combating moisture. An index greater than or equal to 10,000 mm is a guarantee to keep dry in the most extreme conditions.
- The presence of waterproof seams optimizes the waterproof qualities of your jacket, especially since they are very robust and insensitive to abrasion.
- Also, make sure that your dress has a waterproof water-repellent treatment and not just water repellent. This indication could pass for a simple detail in the eyes of novice skiers. It is however essential because the outings in altitude lead you to face more or less difficult weather conditions and are likely to change during the day.
Breathable Like a Second Skin
- Because the feeling of cold and discomfort often appears along with the humidity, the sweat must be wicked away quickly. The credo of a “waterproof-breathable” jacket is to offer, as its name suggests, a dual beneficial action. A ski jacket must be able to counter external moisture effectively while allowing the skin to breathe.
- Let us once again put the qualities of “3-layer” technology in the spotlight by evoking its ability to ventilate the body in a harmonious way. The microporosity of the membrane allows a constant regulation of the humidity inside the jacket.
- When you ski, sweat is quickly evacuated through the micropores to avoid the “sauna effect”. Before and after exercise, the membrane manages to keep the body dry without the risk of cooling down.
- A breathable and waterproof hiking jacket is therefore an unstoppable element for your skiing. If your jacket model has an integrated ventilation system under the arms, that’s even better.
- The armpits are an area of the body subject to heavy sweating during intense effort. Conveniently placed, these vents are ideal for channeling sweat before it spreads throughout the body.
Comfortable Whatever the Tests
- Putting on a waterproof jacket for skiing doesn’t have to mean sacrificing comfort and looks. It is quite possible for you to choose a ski outfit that is as pleasant to wear as it is beautiful to look at.
- Your jacket must be designed to give you total freedom in each of your movements. However, to reach the heights of comfort, choose an outdoor jacket that combined the light materials and the ergonomics of a performed cut.
- Skiing is a thrilling sport incompatible with wearing an overly padded coat that tends to compress the body. If the outer side of your jacket is made from a thin, stretch fabric, this is ideal. Moreover, if the internal lining is soft and light, then do not hesitate.
- The fit and design of the garment are important criteria to consider before hitting the slopes. Choose a jacket that sits low on the back, as it is a cold-sensitive part of the body. Be a little demanding with the finishes.
- Double-slider zips and fixing magnets on the top of the collar prevent air intake and give your jacket character. Prefer a model with interior pockets and a hood compatible with the passage of MP3 wire and the port of the helmet.
As you can see, your waterproof hiking jacket has many advantages for skiing. First of all, its technical performance, impermeability and its breathability generally better than a ski jacket, will allow you to ski in any weather, including when the weather conditions are difficult.
It will also offer you great versatility. This jacket will accompany you in hiking, trekking, ski touring, snowshoeing, or even cross-country skiing.
What could be better than having a good jacket for all your favorite activities!
Finally, this type of jacket will offer you the greatest adaptability to outside temperatures, and nothing could be easier than adjusting the mid-layers that you will wear to be just warm enough by adjusting to the intensity of your effort and temperature.
Ready to go skiing with your best hiking jacket?
Tell us in the comment section below.