Many outdoor fans sleep directly on the ground during their camping trip. For some, this sleeping way causes back pain while others have a problem with the rising cold. This is where the humble camping cot steps in, and offers a solution that bridges the gap between roughing it and enjoying a restful slumber.
However, camping cots have witnessed remarkable innovations by offering a harmonious blend of portability, durability, and supreme comfort. In this guide, we’ll explore the cream of the crop, spotlighting the best camping cots of 2023. Each cot has been meticulously selected based on material quality, ease of setup, weight, and price. We also have listed all the important properties, at the bottom of the post, that a camping cot should have.
Best Camping Cots (Top 8 Picks)
- 1. DRMOIS Camping Cot – Best Overall
- 2. Queedo Foldable XXL – Large Camping Cot
- 3. Alpidex Camping Cot – Ultralight Camping Cot
- 4. Coleman Trailhead II Cot – Best Folding Camp Cot
- 5. KingCamp Camping Cot XXL – Best Camping Cot for Adults
- 6. Coleman Cot with Mattress – High Comfort Level
- 7. Mil-Tec US Army – Strong and Durable
- 8. Trademark Innovations – Easy to Carry
- Dimensions: 190 x 71 x 39 cm
- Material: Steel, 1680D Oxford
- Load capacity: 450 pounds
- Weight: 6.7 kg
- Sleeping surface height: 39 cm
DRMOIS Folding Cot is not only designed for camping to ensure a good night’s sleep, but also you can use it as a patio and pool furniture. It offers a very high load capacity (up to 450 lbs), which is why it is very popular among taller and heavier people. In order to achieve high load capacity, the manufacturer relies on a special heavy-duty steel frame that is characterized by crossed legs.
This model is made of weather-resistant, robust and durable material. A certain level of luxury is achieved with the side-mounted storage bag and raised headboard.
A high degree of stability is achieved by the feet, some of which are equipped with plate support. Due to its foldable design, DRMOIS camping cot can be unfolded in a few simple steps. When folded, the dimensions are 105 x 23 cm. The included carrying bag also ensures easy transport.
- Weather resistant
- High load capacity
- Easy to setup
- Durable and stable
- Foldable and easy to carry
- A tad bit difficult to get it folded back up
- Pretty much heavy
- Dimensions: 210 x 81 x 50 cm
- Material: Steel, 2-tone polyester
- Load capacity: 330 pounds
- Weight: 11.2 kg
- Height of sleeping surface: 50 cm
The manufacturer produces this cot with very large dimensions so that taller people can feel comfortable on it. To ensure optimal stability, Qeedo camping cot is very stable with crossed legs. The feet are wide and strengthened with plastic, which offer a large contact surface to distribute weight more evenly.
In addition, a very robust and weather-resistant material makes it suitable for all weather. It is foldable and can be assembled and disassembled in a few seconds. When folded, the dimensions are 117 x 23 x 30 cm. It is a very comfortable camping cot with a 210 cm width.
After sleeping, the Qeedo XXL camping cot is transported with the enclosed carry bag. This can be placed in a pocket integrated into the headboard. However, there is no side pocket for small items.
- Large surface dimensions
- Easy to assemble
- High resilience
- High stability
- Large pack size
- No side pocket
- Dimensions: 190 x 67 x 16 cm
- Material: Aluminum, polyester
- Load capacity: 264 pounds
- Weight: 1. 82 kg
- Sleeping surface height: 16 cm
ALPIDEX Ultralight camping bed will make your camping life easier. Due to its low weight, this folding camping cot is also suitable for trekking and hiking tours. This is ensured by the small pack size that results from the individual parts. These must first be put together so that the camping cot can be used.
In order to guarantee use in every situation, the manufacturer used weatherproof material. The non-slip feet were produced with a large contact surface and ensured a secure footing. It also has small pockets at the open end of the sleeves to hold the side rails in place.
It weighs just 1,820g. You can assemble it in no time and don’t need to hide in the matter of comfort. Anyone looking for a portable folding camping cot will choose this model. The cover is machine washable at 30 degrees Celsius.
- Small pack size
- Anti-slip feet
- Machine washable
- Hand grip tensioning system
- Low height
- Long set-up time
- Dimensions: 190 x 90 x 43 cm
- Material: Steel, polyester
- Load capacity: 330 pounds
- Weight: 20 pounds
- Sleeping surface height: 43 cm
Anyone looking for a simple camping cot will choose Coleman Trailhead II. It can be folded up in a few simple steps and is immediately ready for sleeping. The legs are equipped with non-slip caps at the ends for a secure footing. Stability is also achieved by slanted legs.
It has an extra wide sleeping room that can accommodate most people up to 6 feet 2 inches. Thanks to the weatherproof material, the Trailhead II camp cot can be used in any weather. After the camping trip, you can place it in the carrying bag, and can be easily transported.
When folded, the dimensions are 17 x 75 x 35 cm. It can support up to 300 pounds. And for less than 50 dollars, you can’t go wrong with this fast-pitch camping cot. This model also comes with 1 year limited warranty.
- Ultralight and foldable
- High load capacity
- Wide sleeping area
- Cozy and comfortable
- Built to last
- No color option
- Thin frame
- Dimensions: 190 x 65 x 17/41 cm
- Material: Steel, 300D polyester
- Load capacity: 330 pounds
- Weight: 3.1 kg
- Height of sleeping surface: 17 or 41 cm
KingCamp came up with something special for this camping cot: the feet were produced in two parts and achieved different heights depending on the assembly. The folding results in a very small pack size. It can be completely disassembled in a second.
The sleeping surface of the cot is made from 600D Oxford fabric, that can support up to 120 kg. The weather-resistant and robust material ensures that the camping cot can be used in any situation. The storage pocket for small items mounted at one end is practical.
Thanks to its portable design, it is also suitable for backpacking tours. With the carrying bag, the dimensions are 55x19x19 cm. However, the sidebars are very hard to put on for the first few times.
- Good value for the money
- Easy to set up and carry
- Weather resistant
- Adjustable height
- Plug-in system
- Dimensions: 175 x 63.5 x 38 cm
- Material: Steel, foam
- Load capacity: 275 pounds
- Weight: 7 kg
- Sleeping surface height: 38 cm
This camping cot from Coleman is delivered with a foam mattress, which is why lying comfortably is easily possible. It can be folded up or down with one hand and is immediately ready for use.
The robust steel frame of the KingCamp Folding Camping Cot supports up to 300 pounds and accommodates campers up to 6 feet 6 inches tall. However, the mattress is not weatherproof, so you need to use it inside the tent if rain happens. Alternatively, this model can be used in the garden or on the balcony.
Additionally, it has convenient pull-out side tables equipped with cup holders, which provide a handy spot to keep essentials like flashlights or water bottles easily accessible. Thanks to the ComfortSmart coil suspension system, it will provide superior support for your next camping. Overall, it is a really soft camping cot.
- Soft and cozy
- Thick mattress
- Robust and durable
- Leak proof mattress
- Comes with 1 year warranty
- No weather resistance
- Dimensions: 200 x 65 x 42 cm
- Material: Aluminum, nylon
- Load capacity: 264 pounds
- Weight: 7.8 kg
- Sleeping surface height: 42 cm
Mil-Tec camping cot is produced in the typical army colors. Although the individual parts have to be put together, the process can be set up in just a few minutes the pack dimensions are very small. It is a simple but stable and robust camping cot for outdoor use.
The materials used are not only stable and durable. The frame parts are not riveted but screwed, which looks much better and is probably also more stable. The Fabric is thinner than on others, but at least it can be stretched by a (very strong) person alone.
They are also weather-resistant, which is why this camping cot is particularly suitable for a camping or hiking trip. After sleeping, all components are placed in the carry bag, which makes it easy to transport the bed. The pack dimensions are 100 x 22 x 12 cm.
- Weather resistant
- sufficiently stable
- Easy to assemble
- Thin fabric
- Dimensions: 75 x 25 x 17 inches
- Material: Aluminum, Nylon
- Load capacity: 260 pounds
- Weight: 12.2 pounds
- Sleeping surface height: 17 inches
Due to its length, taller people who may have a little more body weight fit on the Trademark Innovations camping cot. To ensure this, the manufacturer opted for a very hard-wearing and robust material. With a length of 75 inches, this camping bed provides ample space for most adults to stretch out comfortably.
The feet come with anti-slip caps for a secure footing. However, you need to put something under the feet to protect the bottom of your tent. It can then be folded into a small pack size like a camp chair. The included carry bag protects the bed and facilitates transport.
The total weight (including the carrying bag) is only 12.2 lbs. You won’t experience any discomfort from a mid-body crossbar pressing against your back during the night. Trademark Innovations cot is available in various colors and sizes. To ensure quality, it comes with 1 year warranty.
- Extra long
- Easy tear down
- Comes with light carrying bag
- Very comfortable
- Legs are lightweight
- Difficult to set up at first
What are the Characteristics of a Good Camping Cot?
When it comes to choosing the perfect camping cot, several key factors come into play. Each element contributes to your overall camping experience, influencing everything from comfort to convenience. So, the following properties should be considered when buying a camping cot…
The size of the camping cot is a crucial criterion. If it is too narrow, there is a risk of falling. You always have to pay attention to how wide the camping cot is. On the other hand, if it is too short, a comfortable lying position is no longer guaranteed.
In order to be able to offer a camping cot for all body sizes, manufacturers usually choose the following dimensions:
- 190 x 71 centimeters
- 210 x 72 centimeters
- 190 x 64 centimeters
- 210 x 81 centimeters
- 193 x 145 centimeters
Good to know: Camping cots for 2 people are rarely made. This size can often be found in a camping cot with a tent. Thanks to this idea, the camp cot is also covered.
The weight of a camping cot is usually very high. This is due to the stable construction, which makes it possible to lie on a cot like in your own bed. The materials used have a major impact on the weight of the camping cot.
If the camping cot reaches a weight of at least six kilograms, it is usually only worth using in the garden, on the terrace, or when camping. Alternatively, these models can be used as guest beds.
If you are looking for a camping cot for a hiking or trekking tour, you should look at the ultra-light versions. These often weigh only two kilograms. In addition, they are folded in such a way that a small pack size is created. These fit in every backpack.
The packing size of all equipment is very important on every camping trip. This is the only way to guarantee that all camping furniture and other equipment will fit in the car or mobile home. The carrying bags, which are usually included in the delivery, make it easy to transport. Only some folding cots do not have a carrying bag, as the pack size is very large.
A small pack size not only ensures that the camping cot is suitable for an adventure tour, but such models are also perfect for a bathing trip, for example to the outdoor pool.
Camping cots are available with different lying heights. If you don’t want to risk back pain, choose a model with a lying height of at least 40 centimeters. Ultra-light camp beds often only offer a lying surface of 10 centimeters. Nevertheless, these models are also popular because lying on the floor is prevented. An insulating mat that is placed under the camping cot protects against the rising cold.
The construction and dismantling of various field beds are done in different ways. If you want, you can choose your favorite according to the handling:
- Foldable camping cots: A real folding cot is only folded once in the middle. This technique means that the cot is ready for use within a few seconds. The disadvantage lies in the dimensions that arise after folding. Such models do not fit into any tote bag and are often used as guest beds.
- Folding camping cots: Manufacturers often use the term foldable when it comes to foldable models. Even foldable cots can be set up in just a few simple steps. Dismantling is just as easy. Thanks to the foldable property, the packing dimensions are very small.
- Plug-in system: In the case of a camp cot with a plug-in system, the feet, and the crossbars are pinned out. The cover can be rolled up. This system takes more time to assemble and disassemble. The advantage, however, lies in the very small pack size. For this reason, the model is suitable for trekking tours.
- Height adjustable: In general, camping cots are not adjustable in height. Only a very small number of camping cots offer adjustable feet. This is also a plug-in system with which the feet can be extended. This idea means that the camping cot offers two different lying heights.
The following materials are used in the production of camping cots:
- Aluminum frame: Aluminum is a very light and robust material. For this reason, it is often used on ultra-light models. The low weight ensures that these camping cots are also suitable for a trekking or hiking tour. Thanks to the stability, there is also a high load-bearing capacity here.
- Steel frame: Steel is used as an alternative to the aluminum frame. This material is also robust, weather-resistant, and leads to high stability. A camping cot with a steel frame offers a high load capacity, but also a higher dead weight.
- Polyester and nylon fabrics: Thanks to their weather-resistant and hard-wearing properties, these materials are used for upholstery. Both materials can also be wiped off without any problems and dry quickly. Therefore, they can be cleaned directly on site.
- Plastic caps: Some manufacturers equip the feet of the camping cot with non-slip caps. In this case, plastic is used.
Consider cots with mesh panels or breathable fabrics, as they help prevent condensation and enhance airflow for a more comfortable sleep.
Camping cots are always produced in such a way that they are not only stable but also robust. In order for the camping cot to be comfortable and safe to lie on, it must offer a very high level of stability. This is achieved through the following construction measures:
- Detents: Locks prevent the camping cot from folding up on its own. Plug-in feet also prevent the bed from collapsing.
- U-shaped legs: Thanks to the large contact surface, these beds are very stable and can be used on almost any floor. The more legs a camping cot has, the more stable it is.
- Anti-slip feet: Feet with an anti-slip function stand securely even on a soft floor and do not slip away.
- Mud feet: These special feet are primarily used on a carp bed chair. This means that they can also be used on very soft and muddy ground without slipping.
- Crossed legs: Crossed legs with additional cross braces offer maximum stability. Such a camping cot can also be used in the garden as a base for an air mattress.
Determine the weight capacity of the cot to ensure it can support your body weight comfortably. Some cots are designed for specific weight ranges, so choose one that aligns with your needs.
Basically, a camping cot is more stable than a camping bed. For this reason, a camping cot offers at most one of the following features:
- Storage Bag: Bed-mounted storage bags are designed to store small items such as cell phones or keys.
- Camp bed pad: Some camp beds are equipped with a mattress. These are relatively high and are made of foam. Other models, on the other hand, have a camp bed pad that is much thinner than a foam mattress.
- Feet: Manufacturers produce different feet. Some are equipped with anti-slip caps to achieve high stability. While not proper cots, carp flies are crafted with mud feet. These do not sink even on soft ground.
- Removable cover: If the cover is removable, it can usually be washed in the washing machine. These camping cots are also suitable for the four-legged friends of the family.
- Mosquito net: A mosquito net is only used on a camping cot with a tent. This net is mounted in front of the entrance or the window.
How comfortable are camping cots?
Camp cots are considered very comfortable. The sleeping comfort depends on the covering of the upholstery and any mattress used. With these options, comfort increases and the sleeping surface becomes softer.
How to build a camping cot?
Camping cots are constructed in different ways:
- Collapsible variants only have to be pulled apart. Sometimes the camping cot is only folded once in the middle.
- Foldable variants are folded up more often, similar to foldable camping chairs. This results in very small pack size.
- The third option is the plug-in system. With these models, the feet must be plugged into the frame. The lying surface is rolled up so that it packs small.
How much do good camping cots cost?
The price of a camping cot depends on the materials used and the quality. Simple camping cots without crossed legs are offered cheaper than high-quality folding models. You’ll find a wide variety of high-quality camping cots from 50 to 150 dollars. Nevertheless, it is possible to get a very good camp cot at a reasonable price within the framework of offers.
Where is the camping cot most often used?
Camping cots are mainly used as places to sleep when camping or trekking. Anyone who doesn’t want to sleep directly on the floor opts for a camping cot. However, a camping cot is also suitable for the following situations:
- Swimming trip
- Guest bed
What alternatives are there to the camping cot?
There are the following alternatives to the camping cot:
- Carp lounger: These models are padded and are primarily used for fishing. The mud feet ensure that the bed can be used on a soft floor.
- Camping bed: A camping bed is produced more simply and usually offers less stability. Most of the time, a camping bed is only used for short-term lying.
- Air Bed: An air bed is inflated and placed directly on the floor.
Which tent goes with the camping cot?
A camping cot can be placed in each tent. If you want an all-in-one solution, you can opt for a corresponding model. With these, the right one-man tent is offered, so that the camping cot is enclosed by the tent.
What accessories are there for the camping cot?
An accessory is rarely offered for camping cots. Sleeping bags, mattresses, tents, and carrier bags are all suitable.
Can a camping cot be used in the car?
A camping cot cannot be used in the car. It is too big for this and the car does not offer a straight support surface.
The range of camping cots is constantly being increased. More and more brands and manufacturers are producing ultralight but particularly stable camping cots. From rugged backcountry explorers to family gatherings beneath the stars, there exists a cot adapted to every need and preference.
We have presented different models that are best suited for certain purposes. These cots have been meticulously designed to elevate your camping experience, ensuring that a rejuvenating night’s sleep is no longer a luxury, but a fundamental part of your outdoor escapades. However, reading the buying guide makes it easier to make your own decision.